xDSL connection does not starts correctly

Jose Romildo Malaquias romildo at uber.com.br
Mon Nov 10 00:22:09 UTC 2003

Hello.

I have configured my network connection (cable modem)
using the wizard (internet-druid), and set it to
start at system initialization. The wizard have created
the configuration file for the connection as
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-NetSuper
(NetSuper is the name I have give to my
provider.)

I have noticed that when the network service is
started (service network start), the connection is
not brought up and ifup puts an error message
("configuration for ppp0 not found"). I have
looked into some scripts and found that, for
xDSL connections, ifup is being called with the
device name of the connection (obtained from the
ifcfg-NetSuper file), not with the interface name
(NetSuper) as it was the case with Red Hat Linux 9.
As there is no configuration for the device
(/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0
in this case), ifup fails.

Has anybody else noticed this bug?

Regards.

Romildo