XFT enabled Mozilla/Firebird spontaneous exits/crashes after upgrading to FC1 from RH8

Steve Lacy slacy at slacy.com
Mon Nov 10 07:13:51 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I just performed a "no brains" upgrade from RH8.0 to FC1, and am finding
that XFT-enabled Mozilla and Firebird both spontaneously exit when
browsing several websites.  It happens on all versions of Mozilla with
XFT (1.4.1, 1.5, 1.6a) and Firebird 0.7.   Non-XFT versions of the same
products can browse with no problems.

In addition, I was running an XFT enabled Mozilla 1.5 under RH 8.0
before the upgrade with no problems.

I suspect that there is some combination of:
- A bug in XFT
- A bug in Mozilla
- Something wrong with my local user font configuration (~/.fonts and
/usr/share/fonts -- but any "problem" with these that causes such a
crash is really just a problem with XFT in my opinion)   If I move away
~/.fonts and ~/.phoenix, I still have the problem.

Has anyone experienced the same problems, and is there an easy solution?

Steve