Nvidia / XFree86-Mesa-libGL

Marc Williams marcw at onlymooo.com
Mon Nov 10 18:18:13 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 10:51, Aurelien GROSDIDIER wrote:
> Following the procedure described in previous mails, i "rpm -e
> XFree86-Mesa-libGL" before installing the proprietary nvidia drivers.
>
> But now, apt-get complains about broken packages (which is right, huh?).
> Is there any way to avoid that ?

Yes, I also noticed that after I had removed the Mesa-libGL package that
I couldn't install the xawtv RPM.  It was complaining about not finding
libGL.so.1.  So even if the nVidia script does install a libGL.so.1
somewhere, it's not where the xawtv RPM expects to find it.  And I
suspect that this same failed dependency might happen with other
packages I might want to install.

To fix it I
1) uninstalled the nVidia script (nvidia-installer --uninstall)
2) reinstalled XFree86-Mesa-libGL
3) reinstalled the nVidia script once again
4) simply removed the files from /usr/X11R6/lib/tls/libGL*

All seems to be well now.