yum problem?

Davy Brion davy.brion at pandora.be
Tue Nov 11 09:57:11 UTC 2003

I just ran yum update, and now that xmms-mp3 has been added to the
freshrpms repo yum wants to update this since the version number is
greater than the one from the livna repo that i already installed a few
days ago.  But when yum is trying to resolve the dependencies, i get the
following error:

....identical dependency loop exceeded
package xmms-mp3 needs xmms = 1.2.8 (not provided)

when i run yum list xmms i get the following:

Looking in Installed Packages:
Name                                Arch   Version                  Repo
xmms                                i386   1:1.2.8-3.p              db

can anyone explain why yum doesn't see that my already installed xmms is
of the correct version?  And since i have the fedora core repo in my
yum.conf shouldn't yum be able to find the dependency in the fedora core
repo?

thx