LILO

jim tate mickeyboa at comcast.net
Tue Nov 11 10:35:52 UTC 2003

jim tate wrote:

> Sean Estabrooks wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:54:33 -0500
>> jim tate <mickeyboa at comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>> What I se is:DISKI BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
>>>
>>>    Jim tate
>>>

>> This likely isn't a LILO problem at all.   Especially since you've shown
>> in an earlier email that the boot sector does contain a valid LILO
>> image. Almost the very first thing LILO does is to print the letter
>> "L" onto your
>> screen so that you know it's started.   After each successful step lilo
>> prints the next letters... "I"... "L"... "O"   each letter meaning a
>> specific step has been completed properly.
>> The message your seeing suggests that the BIOS is not transfering
>> control
>> to LILO at all.   Here are some possibilities for you to check in  your
>> BIOS settings:
>>
>> Disk boot order does not contain "C" drive.
>>
>> necessary IDE interfaces are enabled.
>>
>> Make sure there's no floppy disk inserted :o)
>>
>> Make sure you're not set to boot off of SCSI instead.
>>
>> Umm.. i'm probably forgetting one or two items but you get the idea.
>>

>> Good Luck,
>> Sean
>>

> I have installed Feddora on a old 6.4gig drive and for some reason it
> won't boot
> off that drive.
> The boot priorties I have set are 1. Floppy   2. Hd0 , that order.
> This is a P3 box and I have RH9.0 on a 40gig drive which boots off of
> it , no problems.
> I can boot into fedora if I put a boot disk in floppy.
> I guess I will have to reinstall fedora on a better harddrive.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jim Tate
>
> Jim Tate

SORRY Guys, but I should have know there was a reason why the computer
was taking
so long to detect the drives. I had the harddrive connected as a single
drive on the ribbon
cable and the drive was jumper selected as a master instead of a single
drive selected.
Thanks Sean.
I did learn how to setup lilo on Fedora, I copied the lilo rpm from my
rh9.0 disks and
the /boot/message file from one of my working rh9.0 boxes, and edited
the lilo.conf
to Fedora and did a /sbin/lilo -v and Wa'La I have the old RedHat
Graphics window
pop up at boot time.
And now you all ask why LILO on Fedora. It's because I find LILO easier
to edit and
do what I want it to do. To put it in plain english, I don't quite
understand Grub, Someday!

Thanks Again

Jim Tate