java software in core

Michael Kearey mutk at iprimus.com.au
Tue Nov 11 22:36:23 UTC 2003

Scott Gose wrote:
> That is good news.  What about Java itself?  Is anything going to happen
> which will make it easier to deploy on a stock Fedora system?  Right now,
> the quickest way to do this is:
>
>     1. Download and install the Java RPM from Sun
>     2. Create and edit the file /etc/profile.d/java.sh
>
> Will this get easier with FC2?  Or will I still have to do it by hand? :-)

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I would assume that the Java JVM
by default will be Gnu's.

Therefore Java + Ant + Tomcat using the proposed packages at
http://people.redhat.com/gbenson/naoko/ will work out of the box
without having to install a non-free Java runtime or dev kit..

What ever happens this is excellent news to have Ant + Tomcat packages
distributed for Fedora and in core in near future.

Cheers,
Michael