speaking about 'whichcd'

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Wed Nov 12 16:27:57 UTC 2003

Michael Fratoni wrote:

>I haven't had a chance to install Fedora Core yet, so I haven't checked,
>but last I knew whichcd.py didn't have quite the same functionality as
>'whichcd'.
>
>What package provides a given file?
>$ whichcd -f libpopt.so.0
>
>popt-1.7-1.06 provides libpopt.so.0
>
>CD-1:popt-1.7-1.06.i386.rpm
>
>Or:
>$ whichcd -f /usr/bin/pico
>
>pine-4.44-13 provides /usr/bin/pico
>
>CD-3:pine-4.44-13.i386.rpm
>SOURCE-CD-1:pine-4.44-13.src.rpm
>
>Or even:
>$ whichcd -f free
>
>procps-2.0.7-25 provides /usr/bin/free
>
>CD-1:procps-2.0.7-25.i386.rpm
>SOURCE-CD-1:procps-2.0.7-25.src.rpm
>
>Case insensitive search for a string?
>$ whichcd xfree
>CD-1:XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.2.0-72.i386.rpm
>CD-1:XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.2.0-72.i386.rpm
>CD-1:XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.2.0-72.i386.rpm
>[snip]
>
>What version of a given package is included with another release?
>$ whichcd -v FC1 freetype
>Searching in the FC1 database.
>Searching for freetype...
>
>CD-1:freetype-2.1.4-5.i386.rpm
>CD-2:freetype-devel-2.1.4-5.i386.rpm
>CD-3:freetype-demos-2.1.4-5.i386.rpm
>CD-3:freetype-utils-2.1.4-5.i386.rpm
>SOURCE-CD-2:freetype-2.1.4-5.src.rpm
>
>Don't get me wrong, whichcd.py is a good thing. I just don't believe that
>it's the same thing as 'whichcd'

It's not even close.  whichcd.py IS case sensitive:

# /usr/share/comps-extras/whichcd.py xfree86
Unable to find xfree86 in header list

# /usr/share/comps-extras/whichcd.py XFree86
XFree86-4.3.0-42.i386.rpm is on disc 2

With whichcd, you can type only part of the package name, and whichcd
will find it:
# whichcd uuc
You appear to be running Fedora Core 1.
I'll search for rpms for that version.
Searching for uuc...

CD-3:uucp-1.06.1-48.i386.rpm
SOURCE-CD-3:uucp-1.06.1-48.src.rpm

WIth whichcd.py, you need to know the full name of the package:
# /usr/share/comps-extras/whichcd.py uuc
Unable to find uuc in header list

whichcd is much easier to use, and has more features. whichcd.py seems
pretty crude to me, and if you don't know the exact name of the package,
you may not find which cd contains the package you are looking for.