Ogg mime icon is default gnome foot

Garrett LeSage garrett at redhat.com
Wed Nov 12 23:19:48 UTC 2003

Andrew Chatto wrote:

>I had the same problem - here's how I fixed it.
>
>in /usr/share/icons/{THEME NAME}/{IMAGE SIZE}/mimetypes
>
>where {THEME NAME} is the theme I'm using and
>{IMAGE SIZE} is every image size that has a mimetypes directory
>
>I created a link with
>ln -s file-audio-ogg.png gnome-mime-application-ogg.png
>
>you may have to kill and restart nautilus or change the theme to get it
>to work.
>
>You'll also notice that the mp3 files don't come out with the correct
>icon either, they use generic file-audio.png instead of
>file-audio-mp3.png.  You can fix this by creating a corresponding link.
>
>Perhaps someone with more knowledge of themes could explain if there is
>a more generic way to do this (i.e., for all themes) or why the themes
>appear to be broken in the first place.

I have fixed the OGG and MP3 mimetype icons in CVS.  MP3 is audio/mpeg
(gnome-mime-audio-mpeg.png), for what it's worth...

Both will be showing up in a future version of a redhat-artwork package
update (whenever that happens).

In the mean time, the work around is to (as root) make symlinks as
suggested above.

Something like the following should work for now:

    cd /usr/share/icons/Bluecurve/
    for i in ??x??; do cd $i; ln -s file-audio-ogg.png
gnome-mime-application-ogg.png; cd -; done;
    for i in ??x??; do cd $i; ln -s file-audio-ogg.png
gnome-mime-audio-mpeg.png; cd -; done;

(Or simply change to the directory and do the symlinks by hand...)

Thanks,
Garrett