MIME type setup for torrent files

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Thu Nov 13 07:47:11 UTC 2003

Elliott Wilcoxon wrote:
> They are text files, but a text/plain MIME type doesn't let the computer
> downloading know that it's a BITTORRENT text file, so it treats it like
> a text file, and not a Bittorrent file.  I.e. the server is not
> configured properly to serve torrents.
>
> This happens often to me whilst using various BT sites.  Workaround is
> to save the file to disk, then point BT to it using --responsefile.

I agree, it's very annoying when I visit a site and I have to download
the .torrent file then launch it manually. It's better when the server
sets the mimetype to application/x-bittorrent, then my browser knows to
just open bittorrent on the file, with only a single click on my part.

It's just more convenient that way.