up2date behavior

Law Horne zimhat at foou.net
Thu Nov 13 12:47:53 UTC 2003

Several people on this list have commented about registering with red
hat for Fedora. Now when I click on the up2date applet it ask me if I
want to register but never really does. It just goes through the motion
of checking for updates on the configured channels I have.

Now my understanding is that it is supposed to do just that. No
registering with red hat it just checks the configured channels. Yum or
Apt whatever they might be. Now I know you can uncomment a line in the
source file and it will actually connect to rhn(hopefully most people
know what I'm talking about). But why does it continually ask if I want
to register when that line is not uncommented? And for that matter why
is the ability even there in the first place?

Even if the ability for it to connect to rhn is because it is for
development purposes it should not just register some fedora uses out of
the blue, or even just ask if you want to register. Are there plans to
fix this?  It seems strange to ask if you want to register with red hat
every time you start up2date when it is not intended for this OS to be
registered. And that it is just a function that has not as of yet been
removed. I would think this would cause some confusion with some people
new to the distro. Or ones who have yet to fully understand what red hat
has done and why.