'Symbol' font in OpenOffice.org does not work

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 14 00:48:54 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 08:58, Mikko Huhtala wrote:
> The 'Symbol' font is invisible in the font menu of OpenOffice 1.1
> Writer. The characters themselves in text are either not rendered at
> all or are rendered wrong. Reading in existing documents with
> e.g. Greek letters does show the glyphs, but they are rendered on top
> of adjacent characters that are in other fonts.
>
> The problem occurs with both the RPM-packaged OOo 1.1 that comes with
> Fedora Core 1 and OOo 1.1 installed using the installer package from
> the OOo web site. The Symbol font *does* work using the exactly same
> version, installation and config files of OOo on Red Hat 9, which
> makes me think that the new fontconfig or something in Fedora breaks
> OOo.
>
> Can someone verify this? Is this a known problem? I submitted a bug in
> the RH bugzilla, but there have been no responses.

The Standard Symbol font is invisible for me and the OpenSymbol font
results in open rectangles.  There is no output on a printed sheet
either.  What is the bug number you submitted?  I'll add my comments to
it.

My system is a fresh install of Fedora Core 1.  I also have a boot
partition that is an upgrade from RHL9.  I'll check this out there.

Gerry