Fedora on the server

Jason Connor connor at cs.colostate.edu
Fri Nov 14 02:08:37 UTC 2003

Hi Dave,

Fedora is being described as a distribution for developers and
enthusiasts. I wouldn't suggest putting it on a server that needs
minimum down time.

If you like redhat, then you should stick with redhat 9 (if you don't
want to spend too much) or spring for redhat enterprise 3, if you want
something really stable and supported.

A note on redhat 9, it won't be officially supported for much longer.

All the details are at http://www.redhat.com

Cheers!

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 18:50, Dave Oxley wrote:

> My company is buying a new Dell server (2x2.4GHz P4 Xeon, 2Gb RAM, 73Gb
> RAID 1 SCSI) for our production customer facing web site and I have been
> trying to decide on which Linux distribution to use. It needs to run
> Apache, tomcat, sendmail, mysql, php and bind and have minimum downtime.
> We normally have about 25Gb of HTTP traffic a month, but is likely to
> double over the next 12 months. I am not fussed about having paid for
> support (that's my job!)
>
> I was going to choose RH9 (after deciding against Debian), but I just
> found out about Fedora. Is Core 1 suitable for this type of environment?
> Or would you recommend I go with RH9 or Debian.
>
> Cheers.

Jason Connor
Colorado State University
Master's Candidate, Dept. of Computer Science
connor at cs.colostate.edu