what does minimal install give me?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Nov 14 13:45:57 UTC 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> At 12:12 11/13/2003, you wrote:
> >On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> >
> > > The fedora-minimal install will not necessarily include documentation on
> > > all the packages.
> >
> >Since you brought it up, this is an important point for a "minimal
> >install".  I definitely want the option of not installing the docs
> >directory or the man pages for all selected packages.  If I'm building a
> >firewall on old hardware, for example, I'll have those things available
> >elsewhere (or I can add them later if need be), and I'd much rather have
> >the disk space for logging.
>
> OK... I would be happy to do what you ask for the fedora-minimal install,
> since that fits perfectly with our objectives. Now, how do I do that?

I don't know much about installer internals, but I assume that the RPMs
are installed with the standard rpm command.  In that case, I'd expect
something like the following:

As the user, I'd have a checkbox on the package selection screen for
"Exclude documentation".  If checked, then the rpm commands that install
the selected packages would run with the --excludedocs option.  I would
think that would be enough to get the job done.

Possible?  If it can't be done with the Fedora installer, maybe it could
be a feature of the RULE installer?

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences