incorrect broadcast address.

Aaron Konstam akonstam at trinity.edu
Sat Nov 15 00:54:43 UTC 2003

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 12:51:31PM -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> The network programs on out FC1 machine is calculating the wrong
> broadcast address. For a machine with ip: 131.194.131.27 and
> netmask: 255.255.192.0  the broadcast address should
> be: 131.194.191.255
>
> However, running ifconfig eth0 I get  Bcast:255.255.191.255
>
> This causes problems with commands that do broadcasts.
>
> Can anyone comment on this or indicate a cure for this error.
> --
I have a perfect record. Three postings about problems with yarrow
and no one has an answer. Could some one look if their broadcast
address is reported correctly wqhen you run:
ifconfig eth0
and let me know so at least I would
know it is possible even if I don't know how to make my system do it.
Obviously I don't want several hundred responses so we can stop
after 2 or 3.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University