chown mistake

Bret Hughes bhughes at elevating.com
Sat Nov 15 05:32:20 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 20:18, Richard E. Robbins wrote:
> I wanted to fuss with the files in the /var/named/chroot tree and
> inadvertently did a chown named.named for both the /etc and /dev trees
> instead of the etc and dev trees.  Can someone confirm that the files in
> /dev and /etc trees should (or can) all safely be set to have root and the
> owner and group?  I fear that I have done something horrible to my system.

No.  several of the dev entries need to have disk as the group. There
are other differences as well.

rpm is your friend.  you can try rpm -Va and grep for the perms flag and
then rpm --setperms package for each package meeting that criteria.

most if not all of /dev is in the dev package.

rpm -V dev
 you can reset the owner/group with rpm --setugids dev

Bret