Mozilla / Thunderbird problem

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Sat Nov 15 08:08:15 UTC 2003

Bryan Anderson wrote:

> (I know....leave me long enough and I'll sort it out myself!)
>
>> (a) I now have two versions of Mozilla installed and 1.4.1
>
>  > still pops up when I click a URL
>

>> (b) All my nice anti-aliased fonts are gone from Mozilla so
>
>  > every things looks rubbish
>
> Solved the above problems by downloading the RH9 rpm from the
> Mozilla ftp site and installing that as an update to 1.4.1. I
> have my nice fonts back and only one copy of Moz now, but the
> problem of Moz not starting while TBird is running is back.

The problem with fonts is that you weren't using an Xft-enabled build.
By downloading the RH9 RPM, you got an Xft-enabled build... you could
have just as easily downloaded the XFt build from mozilla.org (IIRC,
there is one). Or, you could compile it yourself :)

The problem with moz/thunderbird not wanting to run at the same time as
each other is that mozilla inherently can't run two instances at once,
because it might corrupt your profile data. so when you start mozilla,
it checks to see if it's already running first... When thunderbird is
running, the mozilla start script sees that "mozilla" (really TB) is
running, so it causes problems. Ideally, it would start the profile
manager, but something is broken here, so it's not even giving you that.
Unfortunately, I don't know any more about it than that.