printing difficulties after upgrade to FC1

James Jones jamesjones01 at mchsi.com
Sat Nov 15 15:17:03 UTC 2003

I've upgraded from RH9 to FC1 on my wife's computer, and now find that I
can't print. Looking around shows that /usr/bin/lpr is a symbolic link
to /etc/alternatives/print ... but that's a broken link to
/usr/bin/lpr.LPRng. In /usr/bin, the files lp, lpq, lpr, lprm, and
lpstat have analogous problems.

I would guess that I should symlink them to the matching *.cups files in
/usr/bin (printconf-gui also expects lpr to be available, BTW), but OTOH
attempting to run lpr.cups gives a "scheduler not responding" error. Is
my guess correct, and why isn't the print queue getting started when I
first bring the machine up as it was before the upgrade? (Looking in the
log files didn't turn up any error message that looked related to printing.)

    James Jones