802.1q vlan tag (vconfig)

Tommy McNeely Tommy.McNeely at Sun.com
Sun Nov 16 06:29:13 UTC 2003

Hi,

I was poking around with routers and switches, and I stumbled across a
site that said that Linux supported VLAN Tagging (802.1q) in the kernel...
I was really impressed when my new Fedora box (and RHEL btw) had the
8021q module and /sbin/vconfig .. however, I think there is a problem with
it, if I ssh to a Solaris box and for example cat a large file, the
connection hangs.. I can truss the shell process to see that its still
functioning properly, but I see no output on the screen.. I end up having
to "~." the connection... it also seems to affect vi sessions (which
sucks). I don't know if this problem has something to do with my Solaris
box (running alpha Solaris builds) the switch (WS-2948) or the trunking on
linux.. if anyone has some free cycles, can you please try this out and
let me know if you have similar problems?
(then we can file a bug.... under the kernel module I guess?)

Tommy