Browsing a Windows shared directory?

Edward E. Iwanski eiwanski at belo.com
Sun Nov 16 17:27:31 UTC 2003

Bryan Anderson ha scritto:

> Dual-booting - when logged into Windows, I can see the two shared
> directories on my other WindowsXP box. I can read, write, delete, etc,
> no problem.
>
> Now - how do I do the same thing in Linux? I want to be in Linux and
> still be able to access the Windows shares on the other XP box.
>
> In Konqueror do I have to type smb:/// into the address bar or
> something? Doing that gives me an error that there are no workgroups
in
> my local network.
>
> Very stuck here.....

Do a quick test, stop your iptables default firewall:

/etc/init.d/iptables stop

Now try to browse the network.

If this works, you need to modify the /etc/sysconfig/iptables default
firewall rules to allow tcp/udp 137-139 from the machines (or subnet)
that you are on depending on how secure you want to make it.

This is just a thought, your mileage may vary.

Thanks.

Ed