kernel panics with stock/patched 2.4.22 kernel on fedora 1

Michael Weiser michael at dinsnail.net
Mon Nov 17 08:37:09 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I've been running RedHat 7.1 for rather some time on my machine and took
some time last week to upgrade to Fedora 1. This went quite smoothly and
I'd like to take the opportunity to congratulate you to this first
release.

I'm having a rather odd problem though: On RedHat 7.1 I've been running a
stock Linus 2.4.22 kernel from kernel.org patched with i2c- and
lm_sensors-2.8.1 without any problems. Exactly the same configuration
compiled from the same source on Fedora 1 with either gcc-3.3.2 or 3.2.3
as the compiler as well as the actual binaries I used on RH 7.1 give
occasional kernel panics with various reasons. There's killing the
interrupt handler, null pointer dereferences and weird module loading
things.

It doesn't seem to happen with the Fedora kernel as well as 2.6.0-test9.
On the other hand this might be due to the fact that I haven't enabled the
second hand of my G400 on those. Another clue is that the machine survived
all weekend running under full load while I was away and about an hour
after I got back and did some work on the console I had another panic. X11
also runs fine.

I can see that I've got to do some more digging before being able to give
a proper bug report and test case. For now I just wanted to ask if anyone
has similar problems and perhaps knows what might be causing them. I'm
suspecting the console unicode support which might be confusing the
matroxfb consoles on the second head. I'm also not certain if perhaps the
new glibc-2.3.2 triggers some kernel bugs 2.2.4 didn't. Has anyone seen
behaviour like that?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
--
bye, Micha