Fedora as production server OS

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Nov 17 15:10:42 UTC 2003

At 03:08 11/17/2003, you wrote:

>We are running RHL versions 7,7.3,8 for our productionservers today and i
>have just started
>looking for another non commersial linux distribution.
>
>I can see in the fedora mailing list that a lot of people seems to use
>fedora for desktops and
>i am a bit courious if someone has started using fedora for example on an
>high volume
>mailserver (10000 users +) ?

You have 10,000 users on a mail server, and you are not willing to pay
_anything_ for your operating system, which provides everything you need to
serve those users? Is this a massive charity mailserver, or is this a
business? If it's a legitimate charity, I bet you can get Red Hat or
someone to donate a license to you; and if it's a business, then why do you
want everything for free?

To answer your question, I would look at the Fedora Legacy project. If that
does not seem to fulfill your needs, I would move those 7.x servers (and
maybe the 8.0 ones as well) to RHL-9 until mid-April 2004. This buys you
six months to evaluate Fedora and other alternatives.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com