Grub

roger.beever roger.beever at btopenworld.com
Mon Nov 17 15:50:21 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alastair Basden" <agb32 at mrao.cam.ac.uk>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 12:29 PM
Subject: Grub

> Hi,
> I'm having problems with grub - when installed, it takes ages (5 minutes)
> to get to the grub screen.  I suspect this is probably a problem with the
> kernal, because when I boot from rescue floppy, I get messages telling me
> that DMA timeout has occurred - and some web search suggests there is a
> bug in the kernal causing this...
> Any ideas how to fix this issue?  Fedora is on my second HD...
>
> Thanks.
I added a second HD to make a dual boot install and had a long grub loading
time (screen hung on a single line message saying grub part 2 loading or
simlar).
This was couppled with only one of my DVD devices being visible.
When I got that problem sorted Grub was almost instant.
I my case my DVD Read Write had to be master on the secondary  IDE cable it
would not play ball in the slave mode.
both units were working fine set as cable select until the second HD was
added to the primary IDE cable.
If not of help to you it might be of use to somone in the future.
Roger