General Question: learning sound device names?

Brian Fahrlander Brian at Fahrlander.net
Mon Nov 17 20:02:30 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 13:48, Andy Green wrote:

> On Monday 17 November 2003 19:39, Andy Green wrote:
> > On Monday 17 November 2003 19:04, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> > >     Since moving to FC1, I've not gone to the trouble of installing
> > > ALSA, but I think ALSA would allow me to use more devices.  I'm just
> > > trying to figure out which devices are available to me.
> >
> > ALSA is generally better than OSS in every department.
>
> It was a great reply, just not to your question :-)
>
> lspci is often helpful

    Yeah: it's an sblive:
00:0f.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev
08)
00:0f.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port
(rev 08)

    (And I love it, BTW) But it doesn't equate to a device name. :<

> But a little-known fact is that alsa comes with a util to detect your card and
> install the right stuff in /etc/modules.conf
>
> alsaconf
>
> you can find it in the ./utils dir of the driver source tree.
>
> Note also snddevices in the main dir of the driver source tree, makes all the
> right /dev guys.

    Yeah, I was running the one from PlanetCCRMA, whose RPMs come with a
_working_ alsaconf.  :>

> Apolgies for not reading better the first time!

    Yeah, that's ok.  It was funny!  (And not so useless the first
go-around- it might help someone else!)

    Thanks!

Brian Fahrländer                     Researcher, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                    http://Fahrlander.net
ICQ  5119262