OT: reply to posts with "no mail" option set

Peter Eddy petere at atg.com
Mon Nov 17 20:40:22 UTC 2003

Edward Croft wrote:

> As the systems administrator for my company, I would have a hard time
> with users just bringing in PCs and setting them up on my network. I am
> responsible for all the systems and need to make sure that they are
> patched properly, no viruses, etc. I have a DHCP server that provides
> client addresses that I would prefer not to run out of addresses because
> I've got people installing PCs without authorization. As a matter of
> fact, company policy forbids such activity and is cause for immediate
> dismissal. So please Rodolfo, before you make suggestions like these,
> think them through from the SysAdmin side of things. If his company has
> a similar policy, he could be fired for setting up a PC like that. With
> all the issues with hackers, viruses, et al, companies are having zero
> tolerance for things like this.

I don't think it's necessary to try enforce your policy on other people
or other companies. If Rodolfo's suggestion isn't workable for the
person who asked the question, they ought to be able to decide that for
themselves.

Skunkwork type projects here at my company were what eventually led to
official support of Linux in our products, cost savings on software
licenses, and happier developers. No need to discourage that kind of thing.

Peter