failed upgrade lack of hard disk space

Matt Temple mht at research.dfci.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 18 02:26:03 UTC 2003

Mark Loatman wrote:

> The issue is why would it say it is outta of drive space if there is
> 30gb free?

> Mark Loatman wrote:
> | I am trying to upgrade to fedora from redhat 9.  When it transfers the
> | image to the hard disk, during the upgrade, it tells me the hard disk is
> | out of space.  There is 30gb of free space on the machine.  Has anyone
> | else had to deal with this issue?
>
> What kind of data is this? Is it your /home directory or just stuff from
> your personal folder. I just backup my /home/jcsitte directory using
> either using ftp onto another machine or just cp the whole thing over
> the new directory. Then I do the install of the new OS or upgrade.
> - --
You've got to look at the partitions.   For example, many of us have
little, dinky /var or /boot  or / partitions.   RPM databases are in
/var/lib.   If you upgrgraded from RedHat X to Redhat 9,
the likelihood of such partitioning is even higher.

Believe vme, better to be warned of not enough space than discovering it
2/3 of the way through the upgrade.

						Matt
Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/632-4012
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht at research.dfci.harvard.edu
44 Binney Street,  JF 314     http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!