details on kernel diffs, fedora, es3, rh9...?

Brad Lyon bradlyon at ntown.com
Tue Nov 18 21:25:51 UTC 2003

Sorry to ask such a basic questions.  I'm trying to find a detailed list
of what is in the kernels associated with the latest fedora, ES3, and
RH9.  For example, ES3 is built on top of 2.4.21, I realize, but what
are all of the little tweaks perhaps backported from the 2.5/6 stuff?
What about ES9+tweaks vs. RH9+tweaks, etc.

The reason I ask is that we're investigating non-scalability of a
standard Java benchmark (VolanoMark) on a Dell PowerEdge 2650 system
(dual Xeon 2.4GHz).  By "non-scalable", it is meant that there is no
difference in results between smp kernel or not.  btw, by "results" we
mean the messages per second on the "loopback" test.

I've seen reports showing results that indicate that this benchmark
should scale  - well, at least some.

We just now tested on  RH9, and, despite an obvious general increase in
performance (Sun 1.4.2 jdk, too), there was no difference between using
a single cpu or not (results were about 14,000 messages/sec either way).

TIA