2 Gb File Size Limit ?

Pete Nuwayser nuwayser at pug.ftc.gov
Tue Nov 18 21:48:36 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:29:29PM +0000, Jimbo wrote:
> I seem to remeber somthing about a 2gb file limit in samba. Google it.
>
> HTH
>
> On Tuesday 18 November 2003 20:59, Peter Kiem wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > use it to recover the system - all fine. RedHat 7.? seems to have 2Gb
> > > limit.
> >
> > Nope.  I regularly make 2.2GB backup files (and larger) using tar on a
> > Red Hat 7.3 system.  Processor is an AMD 266 MHz.
> >
> > Tar, NFS and SSH have no problems with that file but viewing it over
> > Samba 2.2.7-3.7.3 shows the file as being something like 16,777,777 TB!

There is a 2GB file size limit in Samba (don't know about Samba 3).  Also
I have seen a limit of 133,120 files (give or take a few... it's somewhere
around there) in a single smbmounted directory.

Pete

--
Pete Nuwayser <nuwayser at pug.ftc.gov>      Federal Trade Commission
Internet Lab Systems Administrator   Bureau of Consumer Protection