OT: reply to posts with "no mail" option set

Thiers Botelho thiers at fosfertil-ultrafertil.com.br
Tue Nov 18 12:23:18 UTC 2003

Hi Rodolfo,

|At 11:09 11/17/2003, you wrote:
|
||As the systems administrator for my company, I would have a hard time
||with users just bringing in PCs and setting them up on my network. [...]
|| [snip]
|

|<rant>
|Oh so many things come to mind, but let me make a few points:
|
| [snip]
|
|2. In a technically-minded community such as this, it is the user's
|(read: the poster's) responsibility to honor his/her moral code,
|prevailing social mores, company policy, national constitution, and
|Planetary Federation Starship regulations if and how he/she damned well
|sees fit. If my suggestion appealed to the OP, it was his (her?)
|responsibility to go check whether that was
|permitted/recommended/whatever. If the OP then chooses to blow up the
|office out of frustration with the company's Notes server, that is also
|his/her own damned problem.

Well, as the OP mentioned here, rest assured I'm LOL about the latest
developments on this thread . . .

And BTW, if you've got an excerpt from the Planetary Federation Starship
regulations I'd like to have a look. Actually, I'd be more interested in
similar material from the Intergalactic Confederation.

I'm a DBA myself, and the main corporate sysadmin sits next to my desk,
so if the case would be we could make arrangements for smuggling
equipment within the company without threatening the overall environment.

The only point being, all of us are racing after bits and pieces of Linux
knowledge, and nobody has had time to reach starter's level yet.

And no, the two of us wouldn'get fired - but any other non-IT user trying
the
same would surely do.

|3. I have been on this list AFAIK almost as long as it has existed, and
|I also participate actively in other fora. In all that time, this is the
|FIRST TIME someone has chewed me out for trying to help a fellow human
|being. What does that say about you?

You're paying the price on being generous. Your salvation is halfway
assured.

|Suggesting that I am going to be responsible for someone losing their
|job is simply out of line... I'll keep the rest of my response to myself
|since there are ladies here as well. Good Christ, whose systems do you
|admin: the KBG's? Sheesh...

Suppose you meant KGB here -   :)). And again, as I sit next to the
sysadmin here (we've got 1300 PC's), I can very much understand the
troubles hinted at by the admin you're replying to. We don't have
clandestine PC's, but we have partner's notebooks which get plugged in
the network and have to be swallowed just as they come . . . These are
worse, coz enforcing company policies on them gets VERY complicated.

|</rant>

Cheers

Thiers