Fedora, Debian or Gentoo

WipeOut wipe_out at onetel.com
Tue Nov 18 23:00:23 UTC 2003

Francisco Roldan wrote:

>So , I ask you , which are the major differences between Redhat 9 and Fedora
>distribution Project?

I think a read through http://fedora.redhat.com will probably answer
most of this question.. :)

>And the advantages/disadvantages between Fedora vrs. Debian or Gentoo ?

I went through the same investigation, as I am sure many did.. My
conclusions were that Fedora was the way to go and should be given the
chance to prove itself (there are many doom sayers out there trying to
convince people that the porject is worthless)..

My problem with Debian, apart from the learning curve on running it, is
that the packages in the stable tree are quite often a little old.. I
guess that is good for stability but not so good for running the latest
versions of other software..

Gentoo was not a choice for me because again there was a learning curve,
and the idea of compiling packages from source does not sit well with
me.. I am not really confident in my ability to build systems, like PHP
for example with all its included libs and other command line options,
from source and have them run reliably..

So far in testing Fedora has been fine and the updates appear to be
coming through now which is a good sign that the development side is
starting to get into the swing of things..

The way I see it, its only through mre and more people getting involved
in the Fedora community that will make it a really strong distro.. I
just hope it does not become totally focused on the "Desktop"
application and forget about those of use who want to use it for servers
with no gui or bloat.. Minimal install with carefully selected server
options..

Later..