Rretrofit Grub security?

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Tue Nov 18 13:45:43 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 18 November 2003 05:34, ted wrote:
> When I installed FC1 I chose not to have a Grub password. Now I want
> one. How can I retrofit it in? Grub also manages the XP boot if that
> matters.
>
> Ted Barrett
> Phoenix, AZ

Take a look at "info grub", where you'll find the following and
more......

"Thus, GRUB provides "password" feature, so that only administrators
can start the interactive operations (i.e. editing menu entries and
entering the command-line interface). To use this feature, you need to
run the command `password' in your configuration file (*note
password::), like this:

     password --md5 PASSWORD

   If this is specified, GRUB disallows any interactive control, until
you press the key <p> and enter a correct password.  The option `--md5'
tells GRUB that `PASSWORD' is in MD5 format.  If it is omitted, GRUB
assumes the `PASSWORD' is in clear text."

Regards,  Mike Klinke