Mounting SMB shares in /etc/fstab

Bryan Anderson fedora at bryananderson.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 01:16:15 UTC 2003

I'm slowly getting there.....many things have been worked through and
solutions found, but I am having some problems still with the
networking. I have created a link to (url) smb://10.0.0.4 which is the
WinXP box and can browse my shares, copy files over, etc.

I have created a line in /etc/fstab to automount the share:

//10.0.0.4/data_shared  /mnt/data_shared  smbfs
username=bryan,password=jasper,umask=000  0 0

(that's all on one line)

This gives me a /mnt/data_shared that I can open and copy files from,
but if I try and create a directory on the share, or delete a file,
I get an error message saying "access denied"

What have I got wrong/missing from my fstab line? Any ideas?

Bryan Anderson <fedora at bryananderson.co.uk>