Expanding towards ALSA

Brian Fahrlander Brian at Fahrlander.net
Wed Nov 19 01:49:13 UTC 2003

    Well, I'm all moved-in with Fedora and everything's sweet.  The only
thing I've left behind is ALSA, and I'm kinda wondering if there's a
point...the sound (games, tv capture card, xmms) doesn't sound any
better...but it might give me other devices with which to run TeamSpeak
while running Enemy Territory (et).

    So that's the background; the reason for trying this.

    I've used yum to gather all the basic RPMs from FreshRPMs for this
kernel.  It's some kind of modified kernel (not stock) so I'm sure
there'll be 'lots of fun' making it all work.  The kernel is:
2.4.22-1.2115.nptl_22.rhfc1.at.  I have no idea what the changes are,
but for whatever reason, the ALSA RPMs are happy with that version,
'cause they loaded.

    The only missing tool (and maybe it's not come to Fedora yet) is
AlsaConf.  I have:

alsa-driver-0.9.8-4.fr
alsa-lib-0.9.8-2.fr
alsa-utils-0.9.8-1.fr
gnome-alsamixer-0.9.6-2.fr
kernel-module-alsa-0.9.8-4.fr_2.4.22_1.2115.nptl

    For some reason, Alsa-tools can't be found, and that's probably
where alsaconf is hiding...

    Does anyone have any input on this?  Anyone run this particular
gauntlet before?

    Thanks!
Brian Fahrländer                 Researcher, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                     http://Fahrlander.net
ICQ  5119262