Grub problems with XP/Fedora Core 1 Dual Boot

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Wed Nov 19 02:34:34 UTC 2003

Tim Gardner wrote:
> I have just upgraded my Redhat 8 to Fedora Core 1, with comparatively
> few problems except, that is, GRUB.  I have a box with two hard drives,
> one for Win XP and one for Linux.  This is the device.map generated by
> anaconda:
>
> (fd0)     /dev/fd0
> (hd0)     /dev/hda
> (hd1)     /dev/hdb
>
> /dev/hda is Win XP and /dev/hdb is Linux.
>
> I want a dual boot, with XP as default after 10 seconds.  What happens
> is that I get something that looks like a listing from boot's system.map:
>
> c0100000 A _text
> c0100000 t startup_32
> c01000a5 t checkCPUtype
> c0100133 t is486
> c0100142 t is386
> c010018c t L6
> c010018e t ready
> c010018f t check_x87
> c01001b6 t setup_idt
> c01001d3 t rp_sidt
> c01001e0 T stack_start  . . .  etc, etc, for several scrolling screens
>
> Then it boots straight into Win XP.
>
> The only way I can boot into Fedora is with the boot floppy.  When I was
> running RH 8 I had a problem with GRUB hanging and I solved that by
> using LILO.  However, I guess I really ought to be using GRUB as LILO
> seems to be on the way out.  At the bottom of this message is my
> /etc/grub.conf   Can anyone see what's wrong with GRUB, or even suggest
> how I can use LILO as a stop-gap solution???  Any suggestions most
> gratefully received!
> Thanks, Tim
>
> ==========================
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd1,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb2
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=1
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
>         root (hd1,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
>         initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img
> title Windows XP
>         rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>         chainloader +1
> ====================================
>
> PS. What's this business about hdc=ide-scsi all about??

This command is added to have your CD burner act like an SCSI device. It
was not possible to use the burner as an IDE drive, in Linux before the
emulating driver. You need this for most CD burners with the 2.4 kernel
(Except my Acer, maybe a few others).

In short, you need it to burn CD's. But later you won't need this line
added. The 2.6 kernel and updated burning software will treat the device
truly as it is. (ATAPI / IDE)

About your text displayed, I think you might run a program called
grubby. I believe it is some sort of bootloader interaction program.

If you install LILO and then use grubby. (after reading up on "info
grubby") You might be able to translate a working LILO boot loader over
to grub.

I went with LILO and it was changed over to Grub by the installation
program correctly. I just know grubby exists.

Plus, as Elton stated, the first device is referenced as 0 and each one
after is incremented by one.

Hope it helps,

Jim

--
All the troubles you have will pass away very quickly.