Fedora Upgrade seems to have killed my RH 9 box

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Wed Nov 19 23:45:34 UTC 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:38:54 -0700, Matt Raible wrote:

> OK, I can type e2label and I get something, but I don't think my hard
> drive is mounted.  If I do df, I get:
>
> Filesystem
> rootfs
> /dev/root.old
> /tmp/cdrom

Please don't reply at the top. Reply below quoted excerpts to maintain
context. Else it is difficult to follow this thread.

No, your hard drive partitions are not mounted. Rescue mode offers to
search for your system and mount it. But when it fails to find your system
partitions, you need to do it yourself. Use tools like "parted" or
"fdisk" to examine your disks, e.g.

  parted /dev/hda print
or
  fdisk -l /dev/hda

would list the partition table on /dev/hda.

> On Nov 19, 2003, at 12:29 PM, Matt Raible wrote:
>
> > How do I get to a command line where I can execute this.  I tried
> > "linux rescue", but all I get is:
> >
> > You don't have any Linux partitions.  Press return to get a shell.
> > The sysem will reboot automatically when you exit from the shell.

That is the rescue environment which is independent from your installation
on hard disk drive.

> > I tried both the Fedora CD and RH 9 CD to "rescue" it.
> >
> > In /sbin, all I have is:
> >
> > init
> > insmod
> > loader
> > modprobe
> > rmmod
> > sh
> >
> > Can I download e2label and run it from a floppy or something?

You don't need to, because it's in standard search path. Just type
"e2label" instead of /sbin/e2label. Only when you would chroot into your
installed system, it would be in /sbin.