Linux Cad Packages

Brian Fahrlander Brian at Fahrlander.net
Thu Nov 20 06:48:53 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 22:09, Doug Lane wrote:
> Does anyone know of a Linux based CAD package, preferably open source,
> good for architectural drawings and that can open .dwg Autocad native
> drawings?  Maybe something operable with Wine?
>
> I checked out LinuxCad and it isn't quite there.  I also looked at
> Varicad, which is more suitable for mechanical engineers.
>
> This is the ONLY thing keeping my firm from a total switch to open
> source, GNU/Linux.

    Check out ac3d...very nice, but I don't know if it will do what you
need it to (details like dimensioning, etc).  You can create textured
surfaces and rotate things at anytime.  Very spiffy.  And that is what
it did 3 years ago!

    I don't know where it is, but it was selling for $20 as "ac3d".

    Good luck!
Brian Fahrländer                     Researcher, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                    http://Fahrlander.net
ICQ  5119262