USB Pen Drive?

Fri Nov 21 14:00:59 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 07:41, A.J. Bonnema wrote:
> Marc Schwartz wrote:
> > Here are my /etc/fstab entries for a USB digital card reader (camera)
> > and for my Clie (NX-70V) Memory Stick via USB:
> >
> > /dev/sdb1  /mnt/flash  vfat  noauto,user  0 0
> > /dev/sda1  /mnt/clie   vfat  noauto,user  0 0
> >
> > These work fine for me on a Dell i8200 laptop with two USB ports. I then
> > mount them using the Gnome desktop menu with a right mouse click to
> > "disks" which has a check box each for the flash and the clie.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Marc Schwartz
>
> This I was looking for. Maybe you can help me.
> I have a flashmemory cardreader (6 different card types) for a
> photocamera flascard that I can see is being detected, but I have no
> idea how to use its contents. I run FC1.
>  From the kernel docs I found out how to determine if it is being
> recognized (details below).
>
> Can anyone help me? How do I mount and use this beast?
>
> Guus.

The setting that I have in the first line enables me to access the flash
card reader as any standard fat file system. The settings do not
automatically mount the reader at system boot, thus I need to do so
either by the command line or using the Gnome desktop right mouse button
"Disks" submenu.  This approach makes more sense with removable media.

You need to create the mount point in /mnt of course, which is done as
'root'. Basically in a terminal window as root:  mkdir /mnt/flash

Once you mount it (by whatever approach you prefer), there should be an
icon that appears on the desktop that you can click on and access the
flash card.  Alternatively, you can just open a Nautilus window and
browse to /mnt/flash (in my case).

Part of the fine tuning may depend upon how many USB slots you have and
which one you have the card reader connected to. That would likely
effect the choice of the '/dev/sdb1' or a different setting in fstab or
in your command line mount command.

You might to use Google to search for your particular card reader model
to see if others have posted any experience with using it under Linux.
That might offer some particular hints and gotchas. Also, checking the
manufacturer's site might help, as I have found some with FAQs for using
their device under Linux.

HTH,

Marc