wlan-ng RPMs

Kevin Sonney ksonney at redhat.com
Fri Nov 21 14:16:48 UTC 2003

Ralph Angenendt <ra at br-online.de> writes:
>> I was wondering if anyone had tried them and how well they had worked.
>> Or shall I go first :)
>
> Well, you could always take the src.rpm which is offered on that page
> and do a rpmbuild -ba foo.src.rpm - which will build the rpms on your
> system.

When you rebuild that source RPM, you need to do three things :
1) remove the CUSTOM tag in /usr/src/linux-2.4/Makefil
2) use the --target rpmbuild parameter to set the current target arch and
3) define %linvers as the output of  'uname -r'

This will allow you to build the kernel-wlan-ng RPMS for your current
2.4.x kernel (this is also what I've done in the past to build for
Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3).

I've attached a slightly modified .spec file that handles the %linvers
definition, but not the target arch. In an ideal world, it would build
for all arches. However, the .spec will rebuild the kernel every time
for the target arch, so it's not a short build process.

FWIW, I'v used this process to build working drivers for RHEL 2.1 and 3,
Red Hat Linux 8, 9, and Fedora Core 1.