Grub + WinXP

Brian Hanks bhanks at crackedweasel.org
Fri Nov 21 15:26:52 UTC 2003

> From: Mark.WOODROW at hpa.org.uk
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: Grub + WinXP
> Date: 21 Nov 2003 09:06:19 +0000
>
> Message: 10
> Subject: Re: Grub + WinXP
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> From: Mark.WOODROW at hpa.org.uk
> Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:06:19 +0000
> Sender: fedora-list-admin at redhat.com
>

> Your setup sounds a like mine: I have one hard disk with Win XP on the
> first partition, and RH 9 on the second.  Grub is installed as the boot
> loader.  It happily boots either Linux or XP, and it does initially call
> the XP partition "DOS".  This can be fixed by editing the grub.conf file.
>

> regards,
>
> mark

        I have Windows XP installed on my 3rd hard drive.  The initial
        RedHat install does not create a valid /boot/grub/grub.conf for
        this situation.  You must add the two "map" lines below to make
        this work.  In my case I am mapping the 3rd hard drive (hd2) to
        the first hard drive (hd0) which allows grub to boot windows off
        of a drive other than the first.  If windows is on your second
        hard drive, you would just substitute hd1 in place of hd2 for
        the below statements.

        # grub.conf generated by anaconda
        #
        # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes
        to this file
        # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
        #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/,
        eg.
        #          root (hd0,0)
        #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
        #          initrd /initrd-version.img
        #boot=/dev/hda
        default=0
        timeout=10
        splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
        title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-20.9)
                root (hd0,0)
                kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-20.9 ro root=/dev/hda2
        hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi
                initrd /initrd-2.4.20-20.9.img
        title XP
        	map (hd0) (hd2)