have anybody tried upgrading from RedHat 9 to Fedora ?

Karl DeBisschop kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com
Fri Nov 21 16:49:29 UTC 2003

> Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:05:57 +0200
> From: George Kodinov <fedora at pv.openlinksw.bg>
> Subject: have anybody tried upgrading from RedHat 9 to Fedora ?

> I was thinking on how exactly to upgrade my Redhat 9 box - try inplace
> upgrade or do a backup of my data and install Fedora afresh. I have a
> good amount of RawHide RPMs installed.
>
> Has anybody had any experience upgrading RedHat 9 boxes w/ Fedora and
> how seamless the process is ?

Did it 3 times so far, one box was rawhide for months prior. No problems
so far.

> What would you recommend ?

After you do the upgrade, list all your RPMs by time:

  rpm -qa --qf \
  "%{INSTALLTIME} %{INSTALLTIME:date} %{NAME} %{VERSION} %{RELEASE}\n" \
  | sort -r

With that list, force an RPM upgrade of any that predate the FC1
install.

Then reconcile your rpomsave/rpmnew files

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com>
Pearson Education/Information Please