(no subject)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Nov 21 18:11:30 UTC 2003

Roberto Mason wrote:
> I've just installed for the first time Fedora Core 1 (yarrow). I do alot
> of work remotely, and with my redhat 9, I use VncServer. When I try to
> invoke when I access my VNC server remotely, I don't see my KDE or Gnome
> environments, I just see the X window.
>
> Could someone point me to the documentation I need to configure my server.

In the future when posting to the list, PLEASE include a subject line.

Depending on which user you intend to be when you access via VNC, you
need to go to that user's home directory and into the ".vnc" directory.
For user "fred", you can do this via:

	cd ~fred/.vnc

Edit the "xstartup" file.  Somewhere around line 3, you'll see these
lines:

	# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
	# unset SESSION_MANAGER
	# exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

Uncomment the second two lines so it reads:

	# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
	unset SESSION_MANAGER
	exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

When next you access the system via VNC, it should go through the user's
normal X startup sequence (including window manager and such).
-         Microsoft Windows:  Proof that P.T. Barnum was right       -