USB card reader

A.J. Bonnema abonnema at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 24 01:06:44 UTC 2003

Scott Burns wrote:
> A.J. Bonnema wrote:
>
> Try this:
>    dd if=/dev/sda1 of=test bs=1024 count=2
>    file test
>
> This will copy the first 2k of the card and put it in a file.  file will
> then tell you what it thinks it is.

Thanks for this explanation. It didn't work though. For /dev/sda it
gives "dd opening '/dev/sda1': no such device or address.
For /dev/sda it gives:

"
dd: reading '/dev/sda': Intput/output error
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
"

Idea's?

>   You formatted it in windows.  What version of windows?  Is it XP? IIRC
> this default to a variant of NTFS and you will need a seperate package
> to read it.

No, it's windows 98 se. I suspect it's fat because the "disk" is only
256 MB.

--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,
user #328198 (Linux Counter)