[linuxconf] re: RedHat's recent notification

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at redhat.com
Mon Nov 24 03:43:38 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 04:35, Jason Corekin wrote:
> Great I look forward to getting linuxconf up and running on Fedora?  By the
> way does anyone know if there are any configuration changes that linuxconf
> needs to take into account to work properly on Fedora and if so has this
> already been done?

Linuxconf?

</me shudders>

That died a slow, horrible death back in the 7.x days because it was
unmaintainable, IIRC. I know it had a *nasty* habit of messing with
config files that you hand edited, and rewrote some config files when
you weren't expecting it to (IE: Try to edit a user and linuxconf hosed
both sendmail and apache as an added "bonus").

You really want that particular monster to rise from the grave? I will
give linuxconf some credit, without it I never would have learned how to
hand edit config files.

To be fair, I continue to shun the current crop of gui-tools as much as
possible to this day. Many of the current gui tools keep their real
configuration files in *other* locations, often as (compressed) .xml
files, and overwrite any hand-edited-in options they don't understand,
even perfectly valid ones.

--
Chris Kloiber
Red Hat, Inc.