Hello:I am new user in this mailing list

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Nov 24 05:43:31 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 11:39, David.L.Debonnaire wrote:
> PatrickM wrote:
> > When looking to the Redhat products ("home-editions"), the support will end within 6 months (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
> >
> > Fedora is entirely build on/with/from open-source material.
>
> Is that to say that RH9 is not?
> I am also new to Linux, but not to computers in general, and after
> starting  out' with RedHat9 and getting a scare out of the EOL
> announcement, I too  tried out "Fedora Core 1" - for me it was a step
> back, if I may use the  analogy *here*, from W2K to Win98.
>
> Flame if you will, but many others will say nothing and silently give it
> up.  I *want* to keep my RH9, and if possible, to maintain it at a
> reasonable  state of revision - but that will probably only be possible
> *if* RH9 is also  consists purely of open-source material.
>
> Of course if Fedora - which from my point of view, comes with a good
> pedigree, but does not seem to deliver the goods - gets a lot more
> 'reliable' and/or  (new-) user friendly, I shall give it a fair chance.
>
> Oh, by the way can anyone answer my implied question about RH9's
> maintainability? - even without RedHat support - if so can you make it
> simple enough for a windoze refugee?

---
pardon my insensitivity but your question - at least at this point is
posted to the wrong message base and your selfishness bothers me a bit.

RH 9 mail list is...

Fedora legacy list is...

I'm sorry that you feel that Fedora is a step backward - don't use it.

Many Windows users understand that there are problems with Windows and
accept them because they realize that they are powerless to do anything
about them.

Many Linux users understand that to make forward progress, that they use
software that is often a work in progress and there are many ways to
participate in the work in progress, if nothing else by using it.
Obviously, you can participate by helping others set it up and
configure, you can help write documentation etc.

You can solve all of your problems with sustainability and support by
buying Red Hat Advanced Workstation.

Craig