block-major-135 and Kernel questions

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at redhat.com
Mon Nov 24 07:50:23 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 10:15, AuntieParticle wrote:
> I have just upgraded from RH9 to Fedora Core 1 using the very helpful
> HowTo here:
> http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~vschmidt/notes/redhat2fedora/index.htm
>
> It all went very well but each time I boot FC1 I see the following error:
>
> modprobe: modprobe can't locate module block-major-135
>
> Then it proceeds through the rest of the boot okay.
>
> I looked up block 135 in devices.txt and it seems to be for SCSI disk
> devices.... of which I have none on my system.  Is there a way to get
> rid of this error?

My devices.txt doesn't show block-major-135, but in /dev it is listed as
/dev/sdig (I'm really running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 AS at the
moment) and that is odd, but not fatal. You can suppress the message by
adding the line to /etc/modules.conf:

alias block-major-135 off

> Also, since upgrading to FC1 I now have 2 kernels that show up in Grub,
> the one I had with RH9 and the new one that FC1 upgrade installed. FC1
> boots to the new one by default of course and that is just fine. What
> I'd like to know is how can I, or even should I, remove the old kernel?

Sure you can remove the older kernel. But you need to be specific when
doing so. If the kernel you need to remove is kernel-2.4.20-20.9, then
you can remove it by running:

# rpm -e kernel-2.4.20-20.9

Don't just say "rpm -e kernel". Normally it will tell you that kernel
represents multiple packages and exit doing nothing, but if you have
only one kernel in the rpm database, this might remove it.

--
Chris Kloiber
Red Hat, Inc.