Dual boot setup

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Mon Nov 24 08:03:39 UTC 2003

Am Mo, den 24.11.2003 schrieb Craig White um 06:33:
> I believe that the installation process of Windows will not simply
> modify the grub bootloader, it will overwrite it completely. You will
> need to boot from an emergency floppy to boot Linux after the Windows
> install and grub-install /dev/hda   or whatever.  The reason the
> instructions tell you to install Windows first is because it is
> infinitely easier.

Windows will overwrite the MBR, indeed. No chance to stop it.

Additionally, some OEM installation programms which have to be delivered
with hardware specific OEM versions, make "strange" assumptions how the
user intends to use her/his computer. Some will overwrite the harddisk
completely, even without to ask.

Peter