SMP Kernel::Boot Failure-hang at "booting the kernel" [SOLVED]

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Nov 24 11:52:38 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 04:43, Joseph M Bironas wrote:

> I'm not sure. I know that I'm getting two processors to boot now. Top
> reports both processors, and I get two little penguins on FB boot
> -always an important indicator.

I think this could be the CONFIG_NR_CPUS patch that's causing this.
It makes the assumption that APICs are contiguously numbered,
so if you have them sparsely numbered, you could end up with some
of them being unused.

This would explain several similar bugs in bugzilla too.
For those that want to test, setting this option to 32 should
restore to the previous behaviour.

	Dave