Dual boot setup

Bryan Anderson fedora at bryananderson.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 12:59:06 UTC 2003

Peter Boy wrote:

> Additionally, some OEM installation programms which have to be delivered
> with hardware specific OEM versions, make "strange" assumptions how the
> user intends to use her/his computer. Some will overwrite the harddisk
> completely, even without to ask.

Agreed there - of my two PC's here, both come with 'restore' disks and
not full versions of anything. The HP Pavillion restore disk will
restore everything into the C: only. Anything partitioned as another
drive will remain intact.

The eMachines that I have does something awful on restore and if I had
no recent backups I would have been in trouble. The disk is partitioned
to C: and D: and I assumed that the restore would just 'do' the C:
drive. Not happy to find that the restore managed to repartition the
drive without asking me and losing all my D: drive and data.

Have now learned my lesson. Windows is on a 20GB, slow old drive. Linux
is on a partition of my 80GB, of which 60GB is FAT32 shared data between
the two. To make sure I have no bother, I'll remove the 80GB before I
even attempt another restore with that disk!

Bryan Anderson <fedora at bryananderson.co.uk>