toggling between graphic and text mode

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Mon Nov 24 16:45:47 UTC 2003

Am Mo, den 24.11.2003 schrieb Paolo Nesti Poggi um 17:38:
> Hi,
> I'm new to the graphical interface in Fedora (and RedHat for that matter).
> I happened to install in graphic mode and cannot work in text mode any
> longer.

If you don't want X to be started automatically, edit /etc/inittab:
Change: id:5:initdefault:
to:     id:3:initdefault:

You can login on the console, the "startx".

If you also want to disable graphical booting, edit
/boot/grub/grub.conf:
Delete "rhgb" from the kernel command line.

Or:
Edit /etc/sysconfig/init:
set "GRAPHICAL=no" instead of yes.

> Is there a way to go from graphic (GNU) to text and reverse?

GNU = GNU is Not Unix. You mean GUI (Graphical User Interface)?

:-)

Christoph