I think fedora needs...

Boris Goldowsky boris at alum.mit.edu
Mon Nov 24 17:28:16 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 08:38, Bryan Anderson wrote:
> pctech at mybellybutton.com wrote:
>
> > Ummm....There is a Photoshop/PaintShopPro equivalent.
> >
> > It's called Gimp.
>
> Yeah - but the interface is awful. Try as I might, I can't get used to
> it, and all those windows it throws around. I *will* keep on with it as
> it does seem to be the best solution for me (it does everything I need,
> I think, and it's fater than trying to use PhotoShop under CXOffice),
> but it's going to take some time for me to get to like it.

As someone very inexperienced with the Gimp, I find the 1.3.x versions
have a far more understandable and comfortable interface than the 1.2.5
version which is included in FC1.  There are fewer windows with more
relevant information plainly available in each one, and most operations
are visible as menus rather than right-clicks.  The new font technology
also makes it work better with the Fedora desktop environments.

Hopefully it will soon be declared stable and make it into the Fedora
distribution.  If you're starting to learn the Gimp now, though, my
advice would be to install the new version without waiting for that.

Boris