Installation Woes

Mike Peterson mpeterson at mail.charlesfurniture.com
Mon Nov 24 18:09:27 UTC 2003

I have installed Fedora on 3 different systems and had the good luck of it
running on all 3.
GUI, sound, and NIC.
I did find that when you copy several directories of data via ssh that the
system slows to a crawl for any additional users trying to log in via
console or ssh.

I did a comparison install with the latest released Mandrake 9.2 on one of
the systems on a different hard drive and the install went good, but GUI did
not configure and work at all.
No boot disk was created.
It recommends like with Fedora and Red Hat to use the boot CD/CD #1 as a
rescue media if needed.
It does still offer the Individual Package Install Option unlike Fedora and
Red Hat.

But I see Fedora and Red Hat as trying to make things less complicated and
more uniform by taking out that option.
It probably makes the kickstart file less complicated to look at.
Now if we can just get the folks at MySQL to allow the latest version to
ship with Fedora Core 2.